Monday, March 26, 2012

ADD vs ADHD

I know I always wondered what the difference is between ADD and ADHD. So, I did some research to find out and actually got some quite interesting information I would like to share with you. As you may or may not know ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder , well this (ADHD) is the official name used by the American Psychiatric Association. That means that technically there is no ADD. I was shocked! What is ADD then? Well, it is the same as ADHD but
without the hyperactive and impulsive behaviors, however, ADD is actually considered older terminology for what is now officially called "ADHD, Inattentive Type" as a diagnoses. I also found out that ADD&ADHD is actually a continuum, which means the elements are not perceptibly different from each other, but, the extremes are quite different. Furthermore, I actually discovered that most children have a combination and that very seldom is it encountered where kids have a "pure" ADD or ADHD. Some may be "mostly" inattentive and others "mostly" hyperactive, but, most are a combination of them. I found this really interesting! I hope it helps you to understand a little more, I know it educated me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment