Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Three Subtypes of ADHD

Hi readers! I keep looking into ADHD and I kept seeing these different term used called "Subtypes", so of course, I just had to figure out more about them. Well I found out that as published in the DSM-I (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) by the American Psychiatric Association there are actually three subtypes of ADHD!
The first, and most common, is ADHD, Combined Type- this is both attention and hyperactivity-impulsive symptoms. The second is ADHD, Inattentive Type- this is only inattentive without the hyperactivity-impulsive signs. Last, but not least, is ADHD, Hyperactive-Impulsive Type- which is the hyperactive-impulsive signs without the inattentive symptoms. I know this may be a little confusing so, in layman's terms it's pretty much summarized as these stand for just what they say. It's one, the other or both. However, as I have said before, it is rare to have one and the most common is combined. Also, as you may have noticed, hyperactivity and impulsive seem to go together. I am definitely going to look into why that is because I know my son has impulsive signs and not really and hyperactive symptoms. I will post more as I find out. Thanks for reading!

~S Overly

No comments:

Post a Comment